Thursday, February 16, 2012

The little boy with a strange energy.


I was so inspired when I heard the following story, I decided to share it with you.


This is a story that so vividly demonstrates, the hand of G-d in everything, and reinforces our belief in Divine Providence, prayer, and that “the salvation of G-d, is in the blink of an eye”.


This older fellow, now living in Jerusalem, would say his grace after meals with particular concentration and it was obvious he relished every word of the prayer.


One day his grandchild asked him, why he prayed that way? And he answered the following:


“When I was a child in Poland about 10 years old, our teacher said he would treat us by taking us to the great Rabbi Meir Shapira of Lublin. We were all tested and did quite fine for little lads. After the test, the great Rabbi went over to his book shelf and said he was going to give us all, a very special gift.


He opened up the book and started to read, “whoever concentrates and pays attention to the grace after meals is guaranteed that he will never lack food…” and he repeated this about three times. Once he was finished, he asked, “Who is prepared to accept upon themselves to always say the grace after meals as described here in this book??” I raised my hand and he placed his holy hands on my head and blessed me, that I will see this promise in my life.


A few years later the Germans came, and an SS Soldier placed a stick across the doorway of our class, and announced, “Anybody lower than the stick to the left, anyone who meets the height of the stick to the right.” When it came my turn, I just barely made it and I was sent to the right.


After we went through, there was another line. Anyone with a trade to the right, no trade, to the left. All of a sudden, an adult walks up behind me and says, “Tell him you’re a cook, tell him you’re a cook.” I said to the fellow, I’m only 13 years old? And the fellow said, “don’t worry, I’ll teach you.” So as I approached the German soldier, I mustered all the courage I had, and when asked, do I have a trade, I answered, ” I’m a cook.” So off I went to the right.


The man who I never saw before or afterwards, taught me how to cook, and during all those years I was fortunate to eat well. I rarely ate bread, because it would take so long for me to say the long grace after meals. One day a SS General came to visit our kitchen and when he saw me he said,” why do you look so healthy? Jewish people shouldn’t look so plump.” He gave me a pocket chisel, and in the freezing snowy and ice weather told me to go outside, and dig a whole 4 x 6 feet. Basically, condemning me to death.


I was outside and prayed to G-d. “G-d you where so kind to save my life with food, please don’t make that, the reason for my death.” All of a sudden a truck of German soldiers drove by and threw at me all kinds of potatoes, and vegetables to hurt me. So I said to G-d, “not food. A hole 4 x 6 is what I need”. Not long afterwards, another truck of Polish laborers passed by, and I said to them. “Hey guys you want food?” And of course who didn’t, when it was so scarce. I told them, if they would dig a hole 4 x 6, I would give each one, two potatoes. In no time at all, with their picks and shovels I had my hole.


I went inside and told the General everything was done in these three hours, and he said. “If you are lying, I will kill you on the spot.” He came out with me, and when he saw the hole he told me to run. He said, it was humanly impossible to dig a hole with that small chisel, and accused me of having a bizarre energy around me.


Indeed the grandfather concluded his story, “I never lacked food, and food has been my savior. All because, I accepted to concentrate with my complete mind and heart, when telling G-d, thank you for the food I was granted.”

No comments:

Post a Comment